As I’m passionate about fashion within sportswear, I’m searching for sustainable ways to produce beautiful fashion clothes again. I’m on my way, but it’s not easy.
I’m sure many of you have heard about recycled polyester. That is recycled plastic bottles that are used to make clothes. This has been categorized as a greener choice to make clothes, BUT – there is a big but.
The production of clothes is harmful in its making but also every time we wash it. This is because of the micro plastic fibers that gets washed into our oceans when we wash our clothes in the washing machine. Studies shows that in 2050 there will be more plastic than fish in the ocean. That is really alarming. If you read the article “Synthetic fibers and our oceans” below, they explain that 80% of the micro plastic found in the oceans came from polyester.
So, the thought of using recycled bottles in clothes is good but there can be even more micro plastic fibers in these type of clothes and aren’t we working on reducing the plastic contamination in our oceans? What are your thoughts on this?
I think we can make other products from recycled plastic that are not meant to be washed in the washing machine. So I still got a way to go in making a sustainable sportswear line.
(And just so you know, some companies have been caught in buying new plastic bottles just to claim that they are producing recycled polyester).
Do you want to learn more:
- I got very excited when I saw that norwegian news wrote about this topic; Treningstøyet ditt kan skade miljøet: http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/klima/treningstoeyet-ditt-kan-skade-miljoeet/a/23960679/#xtor=CS6-9&rid=5at9st9k
- The entire report on the news above; The New Plastics Economy: http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_The_New_Plastics_Economy.pdf
- Inside the lonely fight against the biggest environmental problem you’ve never heard of: https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2014/oct/27/toxic-plastic-synthetic-microscopic-oceans-microbeads-microfibers-food-chain
- How your clothes are poisoning our oceans and food supply: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jun/20/microfibers-plastic-pollution-oceans-patagonia-synthetic-clothes-microbeads
- Microplastic Pollution: https://epthinktank.eu/2016/06/29/microplastic-pollution/
- Recycled Plastic Clothing: Solution or Threat? http://www.earthisland.org/journal/index.php/elist/eListRead/recycled_plastic_clothing_solution_or_threat/
- More plastic than fish in the sea by 2050, says Ellen MacArthur: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/19/more-plastic-than-fish-in-the-sea-by-2050-warns-ellen-macarthur
- Synthetic Fibers and Our Oceans: https://oecotextiles.wordpress.com/tag/microplastic/